Army Ants (March 30, 2018)

Martin Hash

Army Ants (March 30, 2018)

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:33 pm

When I was a kid, my imagination of Army ants had several components: first, anything with “army” in its name was cool; plus, they were scary but small enough that I thought I could deal with them one at a time like Superman. Fast forward to being an adult: while we were exploring the Peruvian jungle, a guide put a stick in a hole and when he pulled it out, to my pleasure there was an enormous Army ant marching from end to end. It was the length of a child’s finger with massive pincers. The guide told us a single bite is equivalent to 20 bee stings then he quickly threw the stick down. I can see how an army of them could take down and eat small animals. However, in this scenario, I'm the one who did the eating.
Edible Ant.jpg
Eating normal-sized ants is nothing special, kind of like chocolate-covered raisins but with ants. However, once you’ve seen an Amazon Army ant in real life, eating one can be downright scary. I wanted to try so I kept my eyes open and while we were in town until I spotted a guy on the side of the road selling bags of dried Army ants for 2 sols (60 cents). I didn't even hesitate; bought a bag, poured one into the palm of my hand and popped it in my mouth. It was lightly salted, crunchy, not the least bit chewy, thank god; pretty good, really, and a satisfactory human victory over ants. Impressed, I bought one embedded in resin for my bug collection back home, and I brought a few to snack on in the plane.
Army Ant in Resin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

TheReal_ND

Re: Army Ants (March 30, 2018)

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:18 pm

Army Ant protein shakes when?