Stonehenge (England)

Martin Hash

Stonehenge (England)

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:13 am

Do you remember way back in your childhood when you first saw a picture of Stonehenge, and it stuck in your mind ever since? What is it about Stonehenge that triggers the imagination? It's mysterious and unimaginably old, the “stone” in Stone Age. Interestingly, I never knew what Stonehenge was for, and still don't, even after being there and reading all I can about it. Some of the mystery has dribbled away by old photographs of big hydraulic cranes lifting the heavy arches into place during a restoration, and the fact you can't get within 100 yards of the actual site. My goodness, the things 5000 years old, like tourists are going to erode it any faster.
Gwynne at Stonehenge s.JPG
The best thing about Stonehenge is where it's located, hours from anywhere in grasslands that are absolutely English-feeling, cold overcast weather, and the opportunity to wear an English rain jacket. Curiously, the visit was reminiscent of my wife, Gwynne, and my visit to the Maryhill “Stonehenge” on a bluff overlooking the Columbia River Gorge a few hours from my house in Washington State. That one is among the many replica Stonehenges; in Montana, Texas, Virginia, and Missouri, and a Tasmanian Stonehenge that was demolished by municipal authorities because it didn't achieve the necessary planning approval from the local council; but we could walk around and touch it at least.
Stonehenge Restoration (1954).jpg
Maryhill Stonehenge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Montegriffo

Re: Stonehenge (England)

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:41 am

You can thank Maggie for not being able to walk amongst the stones. Before her you could get as closes as you liked and touch the stones without penalty.
Nowadays you can only stand inside the circle on the winter and summer solstices although you do now have to pay for the privilege.
It is possible to sneak in at night and I have done this myself, sitting amongst the stones on a clear and bitterly cold night smoking a chillum under the stars is one of my fondest memories.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:01 am

I thought they closed if off because degenerate "druid" hippies were damaging the site, and they weren't listening to reason when people tried to explain to them that the Celts didn't build the fucking thing.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:36 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:I thought they closed if off because degenerate "druid" hippies were damaging the site, and they weren't listening to reason when people tried to explain to them that the Celts didn't build the fucking thing.
That was the lie spun at the time. Think about it, Stonehenge is the temple for wannabe druid hippies. Acusing them of damaging the stones is like saying Catholics shouldn't be allowed access to the Vatican because they were intent on damaging it.

Stonecircle building in the British Isles started on the Isle of Brodgar in Scotland and then spread south. As I've pointed out before Celtic refers to a language group not a race and although stone circles were built before the Celtic language spread across Europe these were the same people often refered to as the beaker civilisation or Neolithic pre-Celts.
Celtic is a reference to culture not race. Druids were part of Celtic culture and there is no proof they even used Stonehenge which was abandonned within about 1,500 years of its construction.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:37 am

Catholics actually built the Vatican, though, and we own it.

Stonehenge was built before Celts ever showed up. That thong is from the paleolithic.

The Celts themselves had no idea who built it. They just assumed it was giants.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:53 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Catholics actually built the Vatican, though, and we own it.

Stonehenge was built before Celts ever showed up. That thong is from the paleolithic.

Wait til Muslims are the dominate religion and political drivers in merry old England..................... been nice knowin ya Stonehenge.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:58 am

C-Mag wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Catholics actually built the Vatican, though, and we own it.

Wait til Muslims are the dominate religion and political drivers in merry old England..................... been nice knowin ya Stonehenge.

Nah. The crusade will kick off before then.

I don't get the impression that many people really understand how much of a powder keg the world is right now.

My advice to Muslims (and Jews for that matter): get the fuck out of Europe while you can. Because when Euros flip.. shit gets pretty ugly fast.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:01 am

The Celts weren't an invading race which took over the indigenous peoples of Britain. Celtic is a language and culture which spread here from central Europe. They are the same people as the pre-Celtic neolithic population who built Stonehenge it's just that they adopted the Celtic language and culture. Hundreds of years in a era without a written language is plenty of time to forget who built the stone circles and make up stories about giants.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:05 am

C-Mag wrote:

Look, can we keep at least one fucking thread free of your ignorant misconceptions about a Muslim conquest of Britain? This is a thread about a stone circle built a very long time before Islam or Christianity were invented by power seeking mortals living in fear of death and needing to comfort themselves with made up stories about an afterlife.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:49 am

Montegriffo wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

Look, can we keep at least one fucking thread free of your ignorant misconceptions about a Muslim conquest of Britain? This is a thread about a stone circle built a very long time before Islam or Christianity were invented by power seeking mortals living in fear of death and needing to comfort themselves with made up stories about an afterlife.
I'm sorry didn't mean to trigger you......................................... well, yeah, I did :lol:

PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience