Persepolis (Iran)

Martin Hash

Persepolis (Iran)

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:11 am

Persepolis 2.JPG
Modern day Iran is the remnants of the famous Persian empire of the past. Persia was the Eastern capital of literature, science & art for millennia. It's people are very aware of that fact, proud to an extreme. They will definitively tell you they are Persians, NOT Arabs. The kings of Persia in the times of the Greece & Sparta had four castle compounds, Persepolis being the most famous. Xerxes built it, Alexander the Great plundered it. 2500 years later, in the middle of the desert, it still stands, though mostly reconstructed. However the enormous foundation it sits on still exists as it did in antiquity. There was a video show with a computer simulation of what the palace might of looked like, mostly made of flammable materials, which Alexander took advantage of.
Gwynne in Persepolis.JPG
Persepolis Carvings.JPG
It was so blazing hot that only a handful of us choose to explore. It seems ridiculous to drive all that way then sit playing chess but that's what most of our group did while my wife, Gwynne & I, walked through once magnificent stone columns & carvings, Gwynne in her mandatory hijab & abaya. The truth be known, we watched the video for the air conditioning. Surprisingly, it was in English? There was also a Prayer Room onsite.
Prayer Room.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

DrYouth

Re: Persepolis (Iran)

Post by DrYouth » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:15 am

You guys rock.

That's some serious adventure tourism!

And no crowds.

Must have been an interesting tour company you signed up with...

When did you do this? (edit... August 2016 from the date on the last post... so you are just posting your travel journal now?)
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:25 am

It's called "overlanding" when a group of people take a truck along a famous route for several months. This was the Silk Road, often called "London-to-Sydney."

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 am

Martin Hash wrote:It's called "overlanding" when a group of people take a truck along a famous route for several months. This was the Silk Road, often called "London-to-Sydney."
Did you organize this yourself or join a tour company of some sort?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:48 am

I've always fancied the overlander route across the Sahara via Tamanrasset. Have you done that one Martin?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:50 am

DrYouth wrote:When did you do this? (edit... August 2016 from the date on the last post... so you are just posting your travel journal now?)
This is from a book I’m writing.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:05 am

DrYouth wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:It's called "overlanding" when a group of people take a truck along a famous route for several months. This was the Silk Road, often called "London-to-Sydney."
Did you organize this yourself or join a tour company of some sort?
Bump

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:14 am

Badass overland trips like Silk Road are usually one-shot deals organized by a small company if enough people sign up. They usually collapse afterwards due to the difficulty but new ones come along. Google “overland.”

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:17 am

Martin Hash wrote:Badass overland trips like Silk Road are usually one-shot deals organized by a small company if enough people sign up. They usually collapse afterwards due to the difficulty but new ones come along. Google “overland.”
Was your company any good?

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:22 am

DrYouth wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:Badass overland trips like Silk Road are usually one-shot deals organized by a small company if enough people sign up. They usually collapse afterwards due to the difficulty but new ones come along. Google “overland.”
Was your company any good?
Your enjoyment is mostly affected by the other passengers. Gwynne & I were independent as hell. The company aspect of it has always been adequate to the task because the folks attracted to sponsoring this kind of thing are devoted adventurers.