Swim With Sea Lions

Martin Hash

Swim With Sea Lions

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Swim with Sea Lions 1 small.jpg
Offshore from Callao, Peru, there are the Palomino Islands: one is a military garrison to protect the President’s Summer House, one is an abandoned bombed out prison that was destroyed in a 1985 uprising, one is a guano harvesting operation, but our destination was a big rock farther out than the rest, home of 5000 Sea Lions. If there’s a creature encounter where you interact with animals, especially if they touch you or you touch them, my wife, Gwynne, is there, so immediately on hearing about something called “Swim With Sea Lions,” we had to go. My son, Haven, lives in Lima, and my daughter, Heather, came down to join us.

We took a boat out into the bay with a couple from Argentina, and a family from Brazil. It was a nice day but definitely wetsuit water. The boat ride itself was entertaining. Coming up on the island, the noise of crashing waves and squawking Sea Lions is deafening. The boat stopped, and we jumped into the ocean, and paddled our way over to the Sea Lion chaos. There you lay on your back, and let the youngsters snuffle your toes. The place smelled terrible, and we were enveloped in brown foam of waste. One snuffle was good enough for me, Haven & Heather, but Gwynne stayed out there enjoying Sea Lion lovies until somebody went out to get her. Making the trip even better for Gwynne, there were penguins too.

Penguins small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change