Bullfighting

Montegriffo

Re: Bullfighting

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:22 pm

AGAIN, it is possible to treat both humans and animals in a humane and dignified manner. You do not have to choose between the two options.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:27 pm

I think it's a bit dishonest to try to conflate hunting animals with cage and bull fights.

I will admit I used to enjoy the Running of the Bulls back in the 90s when ESPN2 put that on television each year around 0100. But I was more interested in watching assholes get crushed in that one 90 degree turn.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Montegriffo wrote:AGAIN, it is possible to treat both humans and animals in a humane and dignified manner. You do not have to choose between the two options.
Sure, I do every day. My cow is humanely treated, it is humanely fed and it will be humanely slaughtered. If the Latinos want to watch a little blood flow, why do I care. I'm not forced to participate. That's their culture, I'm not going to gasp and call them barbarians for doing............. but I am likely to call a culture that treats humans worse than animals as barbarians.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:34 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:AGAIN, it is possible to treat both humans and animals in a humane and dignified manner. You do not have to choose between the two options.
Sure, I do every day. My cow is humanely treated, it is humanely fed and it will be humanely slaughtered. If the Latinos want to watch a little blood flow, why do I care. I'm not forced to participate. That's their culture, I'm not going to gasp and call them barbarians for doing............. but I am likely to call a culture that treats humans worse than animals as barbarians.

This is from the Mayan creation story:
Now Heart-of-Sky plans again.
Our Grandfather and Our Grandmother are summoned.
They are the most wise spirits.
"Determine if we should carve people from wood,"
commands Heart-of-Sky.

They run their hands over the kernels of corn.
They run their hands over the coral seeds.
"What can we make that will speak and pray?
asks Our Grandfather.
What can we make that will nurture and provide?"
asks Our Grandmother.
They count the days,
the lots of four,
seeking an answer for Heart-of-Sky.

Now they give the answer,
"It is good to make your people with wood.
They will speak your name.
They will walk about and multiply."
"So it is," replies Heart-of-Sky.

And as the words are spoken, it is done.
The doll-people are made
with faces carved from wood.
But they have no blood, no sweat.
They have nothing in their minds.
They have no respect for Heart-of-Sky.
They are just walking about,
But they accomplish nothing.

"This is not what I had in mind,"
says Heart-of-Sky.
And so it is decided to destroy
these wooden people.

Hurricane makes a great rain.
It rains all day and rains all night.
There is a terrible flood
and the earth is blackened.
The creatures of the forest
come into the homes of the doll-people.

"You have chased us from our homes
so now we will take yours,"
they growl.
And their dogs and turkeys cry out,
"You have abused us
so now we shall eat you!"
Even their pots and grinding stones speak,
"We will burn you and pound on you
just as you have done to us!"

The wooden people scatter into the forest.
Their faces are crushed,
and they are turned into monkeys.
And this is why monkeys look like humans.
They are what is left of what came before,
an experiment in human design.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:36 pm

My son's wife speaks Quechua. The Incas took out the Mayans.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:55 pm

Monkey would be some wild shit to eat.
PLATA O PLOMO

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Montegriffo wrote:I never said we are ''just'' animals. What raises us above other animals is our humanity. You appear to have little of it.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:58 pm

I'm very against dogfighting and cockfighting. It just seems pointless. I eat meat and will continue to do so. Personally, I believe that if a human kills an animal, it should either be in self defense, or the animal should be put to use (ie: eaten, body parts used to make tools or clothes etc). I don't think we should declare war on Latin America or Asia for their animal cruelty, but I would draw a distinction between hunting and animal harming sports. I realize this is not an airtight belief system on my part, but it is the way I feel. Although it is arbitrary, I would draw a distinction between dogs and cats (western pet animals) and livestock, despite many farm animals being just as intelligent. I realize this is a cultural thing, but it is something I feel strongly about. People who mistreat and abuse cats and dogs are pieces of shit. They are sort of taking advantage of the animals relative domestication and trust of humans and abusing that power. Its grotesque to me.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:56 pm

heydaralon wrote:I'm very against dogfighting and cockfighting. It just seems pointless. I eat meat and will continue to do so. Personally, I believe that if a human kills an animal, it should either be in self defense, or the animal should be put to use (ie: eaten, body parts used to make tools or clothes etc). I don't think we should declare war on Latin America or Asia for their animal cruelty, but I would draw a distinction between hunting and animal harming sports. I realize this is not an airtight belief system on my part, but it is the way I feel. Although it is arbitrary, I would draw a distinction between dogs and cats (western pet animals) and livestock, despite many farm animals being just as intelligent. I realize this is a cultural thing, but it is something I feel strongly about. People who mistreat and abuse cats and dogs are pieces of shit. They are sort of taking advantage of the animals relative domestication and trust of humans and abusing that power. Its grotesque to me.
Animal exhibitions are pretty pointless, it's all bragging rights and someone figuring out how to turn a buck off it. Are Dog Fights less offensive than dog racing, or locking dogs in a purely urban environment or breeding dogs for appearance at the cost of the health of the animal. Dog fighting is brutal and in your face, but I would submit to you other forms of animal entertainment are not much better.
PLATA O PLOMO

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:37 am

C-Mag wrote:
heydaralon wrote:I'm very against dogfighting and cockfighting. It just seems pointless. I eat meat and will continue to do so. Personally, I believe that if a human kills an animal, it should either be in self defense, or the animal should be put to use (ie: eaten, body parts used to make tools or clothes etc). I don't think we should declare war on Latin America or Asia for their animal cruelty, but I would draw a distinction between hunting and animal harming sports. I realize this is not an airtight belief system on my part, but it is the way I feel. Although it is arbitrary, I would draw a distinction between dogs and cats (western pet animals) and livestock, despite many farm animals being just as intelligent. I realize this is a cultural thing, but it is something I feel strongly about. People who mistreat and abuse cats and dogs are pieces of shit. They are sort of taking advantage of the animals relative domestication and trust of humans and abusing that power. Its grotesque to me.
Animal exhibitions are pretty pointless, it's all bragging rights and someone figuring out how to turn a buck off it. Are Dog Fights less offensive than dog racing, or locking dogs in a purely urban environment or breeding dogs for appearance at the cost of the health of the animal. Dog fighting is brutal and in your face, but I would submit to you other forms of animal entertainment are not much better.
Well, I knew a guy who worked on a dog track and I asked him if the stories about greyhounds being mistreated are true. He told me that the dogs at his track were treated fairly well (though I doubt anyone would admit being complicit in animal abuse) so idk. I don't really have a problem with rodeos,or dog shows, though I see your point. In most of that entertainment, the purpose is not to harm the animals, that is just an incidental byproduct. In contrast, no one would pay to see a dog fight where none of the dogs got seriously maimed or killed. That is part of the appeal of the bloodsport. A dog fight without injured dogs would be like a football game with no tackling (best analogy I can come up with sorry). As bad as it is, I would honestly have less of a problem with someone just straight up eating the dogs, assuming they put them down humanely, than just torturing them in the ring. That's my take on it.
Shikata ga nai