Peruvian Soccer

Martin Hash

Peruvian Soccer

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:12 pm

The last time I watched a soccer game. In fact, the last time I watched any sport, was the 2009 South American futbol final between Argentina and Brazil, in Argentina, and Argentina won. The game was exciting but the rowdy fans, smoke grenades & riot police were my main take-away.
Imagine my pleasure when visiting Peru for the birth of my first grandchild, Felix, to my son, Haven and his Peruvian wife, Mirian. That it coincided with the World Cup qualifying match between Peru and New Zealand. Though Peru was ranked 10th in the World, this was their first World Cup participation in 37 years. Obviously, the entire capital city of Lima was in a state of euphoria. Peru’s futbol team shirt is white with a diagonal red stripe, sold on every street corner, and worn by everyone.
My daughter, Heather, came to see her new nephew in Lima, and the first thing she said was, “Something’s going on, everybody on the plane was watching something on a guy’s laptop?” Then she looked around her, “Why is everybody wearing stripped shirts?”
Peru Futbol Shirts at Airport.JPG
My wife, Gwynne, reached into her bag, “You too,” she answered, and held out a white & red striped shirt.
“You want me to put this on now?” Heather asked.
Me, Gwynne & Haven all nodded.
Dutifully, Heather put on the shirt. “Okay,” she said.
As we drove to Haven’s, house, Heather commented. “Is this town going crazy? Why is everyone honking their horns?”
“You’ll find out,” I said, conspiratorially.
On TV.JPG
Haven’s Peruvian friends were already watching the game on TV when we arrived. Everything was prepared: beer, Pisco, chips, ceviche, and as it turned out, a win by Peru. Chaos commenced. We had to all get in the friend's car and drive around town through the fireworks & cheering crowds, an all-night party in our flat, and the government declared a national holiday. I can't imagine what they'll do if they win the next Round.
Soccer Family.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change