The Bridge Over The River Kwai

Martin Hash

The Bridge Over The River Kwai

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:10 am

Americans tour the Viet Cong tunnels, Australians want to see Gallipoli, Turkey, and British travelers are inexorably drawn to the bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand, made famous by the eponymous 1957 movie starring Alec Guinness (Obi-Wan Kenobi), which I loved as a kid mostly because of the cool whistling. My wife, Gwynne, and I were traveling with Brits so when the opportunity arose to visit the bridge, we went along.

To be sure, the nearby JEATH War Museum was a quirky, almost macabre, probably personal collection which I would of loved to have myself, but not most people's idea of a museum due to its eclectic mix of items, mishmashed together and often labeled incorrectly. And most museums don't have a box of bones from "140 Prisoners" on display. Still, my cup of tea, and I'll recommend it to some equally quirky friends.
River Kwai 4.JPG
Gwynne & I walked along the bridge until a train came and chased everyone off with a loud horn blast. She also bought me a "train" t-shirt to wear when I'm running my own steam train at home, across my own bridge.
River Kwai 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Bridge Over The River Kwai

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:13 am

Madness.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:57 am

How long is the bridge?

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:33 pm

de officiis wrote:How long is the bridge?
1000 feet maybe.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change