Soviet Era Amusement Parks

Martin Hash

Soviet Era Amusement Parks

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:31 am

While traveling through the former satellite nations of the old Soviet Union: Bulgaria, Hungry, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkestan & Kazakhstan, a common theme because apparent, and I'm not talking about the gwadawful propaganda art. No, what struck a chord with me were the semi-abandoned amusement parks.
Amusement Almaty.JPG
These odd things are equal parts fascinating and depressing. Old rides that have been amateurishly repaired & painted, decrepit sidewalks, and little concession stands filled with out-of-date popcorn, knock-off Disney toys, and desperate proprietors eking out a meager existence from the few pensioners & their grandkids that occasionally walk by.
Amusement.JPG
Normally my wife, Gwynne, would ride the carousel at amusement parks but she feels uncomfortable being the only one in these vacant places, and watching the eagerness fade from the eyes of the ride operator when she turns away is too much for her, so we don't even go near.
Tbilisi Carousel.JPG
I don't know what those old soviets were thinking? "Fun" was probably a requirement of the politburo, but it certainly didn't translate to the modern era.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change