St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands

Martin Hash

St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:49 am

St. Croix is the largest of the U.S. Virgin Islands: 7 mi by 22 mi with about 50,000 people. The island itself has been flagged by 6 nations: Spanish, Dutch & English, French, Knights of Malta, Denmark, and currently the U.S. Whatever indigenous people were on it when Columbus arrived were all killed or fled, and the island was uninhabited. Eventually, sugarcane was grown there, harvested by African slaves until hurricanes and earthquakes destroyed it in the late 1800s. The billionaire founder of Home Depot who lives there made sure there was a Home Depot on the island. There’s also 2 of the last remaining K Marts located there. The price of houses there is the cheapest in the islands at around a quarter million dollars, but double when going to St. Thomas, and doubles again to St. John. I did some rum tasting at the Captain Morgan distillery, where I bought a red tricorne hat like their mascot wears.

Rum Tasting at Captain Morgan Distillery s.JPG

My wife, Gwynne, and I spent the rest of the day at Frederiksted Beach with our grandson, Felix. There was a bar shack that served cheap alcoholic 3-layer colored slushies, so we rented some beat-up lounge chairs to congregate around and casually sipped our drinks in the hot sun. Nearby, some locals were walking around on stilts, I presume for tips but by that time I was so soused from all the island pleasures, I don't know if they got anything or not; I feel kind of bad about that.

Alcoholic Slushy.JPG
Stilts s.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change