Route 66 - Day 6, Clinton, OK to Amarillo, TX

Martin Hash

Route 66 - Day 6, Clinton, OK to Amarillo, TX

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:23 pm

Route 66 Museum.jpg

My wife, Gwynne, and I got a late start because it seemed like it was going to be a lackadaisical day, especially where museums are involved. We started out with a little fun at a regular old Route 66 Museum, then stopped at the National Route 66 Museum to get our Route 66 passport stamped. Clinton, Oklahoma had went to a lot of effort and manikins to restore and furnish a part of its old downtown to be a walk-through complex. I have to admit, I was surfing the Internet the whole time but that was relaxing in its own right, and Gwynne had a good time.

National Museum Complex.JPG

Gwynne had never been to Texas, and I'd only been there while we were still in school and I was interviewing for a job so we looked forward to it with some anticipation. Just before the border is Texola, which appears to be a ghost town except for the restaurant, general store, visitor center & souvenir shop all run by one tough old gal who was hand-peeling pears in a reclining chair watching TV when we came in, though she got up to cook us an Oklahoma onion burger & homemade fries. Only one other car came in while we were there.

Texola Visitor Center.JPG

The epitome of Art Deco gas stations was in Shamrock, Texas. America should rue the day that function became more important than style. The gas might have cost more, but the neon was worth it. Then we stopped at the Slug Bug Ranch, a parody of the famous Cadillac Ranch, which is an interactive-art exhibit that lived up to the hype when we got there: 8 old Cadillacs planted nose-first in the earth like a fence. Dozens of spray cans of different colored paint tossed around that you’re welcome to add your own groovy artwork to the interactive-sculpture. We did have to climb through a barbwire fence, and the cars were in 6 inches of water from a 7-inches of water rainstorm but that didn’t stop us, though it did most people. Gwynne & I both added our personal touches.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

TheReal_ND

Re: Route 66, Clinton, OK to Amarillo, TX

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:35 pm

There's a great BBQ joint in downtown Borger if you end up that way. It's like 40 minutes from there. Nothing going on there but a refinery. I like Amarillo tho you shouldn't be far from that steak challenge where if you eat it all it's free.

Zlaxer

Re: Route 66, Clinton, OK to Amarillo, TX

Post by Zlaxer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:15 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:35 pm
There's a great BBQ joint in downtown Borger if you end up that way. It's like 40 minutes from there. Nothing going on there but a refinery. I like Amarillo tho you shouldn't be far from that steak challenge where if you eat it all it's free.
The Big Texan.