Mykonos, Greek Isles

Martin Hash

Mykonos, Greek Isles

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:39 am

Like every female in America, my wife, Gwynne, has been wanting to go to the Greek Isles since the movie, “Momma Mia” came out. A cruise is by far the most convenient way to do islands, so I booked us so that we could spend both our birthdays and 40th wedding anniversary on the trip. Greece has 6000 islands in its archipelago, with over 200 of them inhabited. The first one we visited, Mykonos, is part of the Cyclades group of islands in the Aegean Sea. What sets Greece apart from other parts of ancient Europe is that it's still pretty much inhabited as it's always been. There's something about bright sunlight reflecting off the picturesque white buildings, plus reminisces of Greek mythology, which gave everything a surreal feeling.

On Gwynne’s birthday,, I thought a Greece-specific necklace would be the perfect gift, and the quaint white streets of Mykonos had plenty of jewelry shops to choose from. It’s a good thing I didn’t try to surprise her with something I’d picked out because everything I liked, she thought was too ostentatious. She chose an understated Greek pattern of gold from a quaint little shop that adjusted the length for her, and I still got all the Good Husband points.

Gwynne's Birthday Necklace.jpg

It may seem surprising, but very satisfying part of the trip was a $3 can of sugar-free Coke with Cyrillic writing I bought on one of the ferries. Coke doesn’t taste the same around the world but it’s close enough to remind you of home.

Greek Coke.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Montegriffo

Re: The Greek Isles

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:18 pm

I've never met a Dutch person yet who didn't speak perfect English.
Sounds like a ploy to me.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.