Washington Apples in Peru

Martin Hash

Washington Apples in Peru

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:31 pm

Fruit Market 2.jpg
Peru has the most varieties of potatoes in the world, 2800; something to do with ideal growing conditions in the Andes, and 1000s of years of cultivation. There are entire markets dedicated to them. Impressive, but it’s the fruit markets that get the love because Peruvians pride themselves on their assortment of fruit (except no lemons), and rightfully so. My wife, Gwynne, and I have traveled everywhere but no place has such a variety of exotic fruit in the markets as Peru. They are not sophisticated affairs; just independent wooden stalls where mostly female vendors wait patiently for customers. My Peruvian daughter-in-Law, Mirian, meticulously handles every potential purpose. She has fruit and fruit juice for breakfast every day. Bizarre looking things I’ve never seen before. Even their taste and how you eat them is odd.

Even in Tarapoto, deep into rural Peru, a simple stall carrying mostly very cheap fruit with the exception of my home State of Washington's apples. You can tell because of the sticker on each apple plus, being a Washingtonian who eats at least part of an apple almost every day, they were the real thing, but I didn't eat anymore apples in Peru.

Fruit Stand.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change