Saiko

Martin Hash

Saiko

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:14 pm

Saiko is a Japanese exchange student who lived with my family. She was in Texas for three years when she was four years old, just during the time when children develop their speaking skills, so she’s perfectly fluent in English. She was on baton and swim teams in Japan, and she’s very good academically. She already had the equivalent of a Bachelor’s degree in Japan but she wanted to enter the field of “Human Development”, which is not offered in schools in her country.

After two years, Saiko received her coveted degree in Human Development from Washington State University’s School of Education. She brought her diploma home from the graduation ceremony and proudly displayed it on her wall. However, a couple of weeks later, another diploma came in the mail.

“Why are there two?” Saiko asked.

“Hmmm,” I considered. “Let’s look at the first one.”

After careful examination, the reason for the second diploma became clear: the WSU School of Education had misspelled “Priviledges“ in big, bold letters. Keeping quiet about it, I looked at Saiko’s curious expression. I thought about her years of difficult study in a foreign country. I considered her accomplishment of finishing an advanced degree from a distinguished American university. “Oh. It’s just extra is case you lose the first one,” I said.

P.S. WSU has one heck of a football team.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change