Vacation

Martin Hash

Vacation

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:13 pm

My wife, Gwynne, and I took a cruise to Mexico. We looked forward to the vacation for months, and we were not disappointed. My only rule is: NO CALLING HOME. We're on vacation to relax. There's nothing we can do if something happens at home anyway.

We met a lot of new people. At a dinner show we sat next to a couple who looked even happier than us.

"Hello," they greeted.

"Hello." We introduced ourselves. Turns out, they have nine kids.

"Nine kids!" I exclaimed. "You certainly need a vacation."

"Our kids are on vacation too... from us!" said the wife.

We all chuckled smugly.

Curious, I asked, "your kids ever cause any trouble while you're gone?"

"We have good kids," the husband assured me.

They both smiled, but the wife's smile was strained. "Well, there was that one time." She looked worriedly into her husband's eyes. "You know... When they blew up the gas barbecue."

"Uh, that," he said. "That was an accident... Anyone can have an accident... But, one time... When we got home... The car had been rolled."

"But it wasn't very bad," she said.

"And the last time, our 14-year-old daughter's boyfriend was living there when we got back," he said.

"But he's a nice boy," she said.

They were both looking worried now. The conversation from our end had pretty much died around the blown up barbecue. Gwynne and I just couldn't think of anything to say. We sat in silence for the next half hour. Finally, I leaned over and whispered to Gwynne, "Why don't you call home?"
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change