Peavine School

Martin Hash

Peavine School

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:05 am

We were on a road trip to see some national parks, and as luck-would-have-it we ended up going through Reno, Nevada. That city holds fond memories of my childhood from 1964-1967 growing up with my brother, Todd, watching Wild Wild West & Lost In Space on TV, and sneaking down the hall to peer around the corner and watch Star Trek after our bed time. We also for real walked .7 miles to school uphill in the snow by ourselves at 6 years old. It was named Peavine, which made us snicker, and both Marshall & my First grade teacher was Mrs. Betts.

Lake Park.jpg

I fondly remember catching frogs underneath the bank at nearby Lake Park; one time a big kid caught a huge bullfrog that I still remember to this day. Our old house backed up against a gully. Even at 6 years old I would hike by myself to the big “R” for Reno painted on the hillside that can be seen all over Reno. I & my dog, Boots, found a quails nest full of eggs that were just hatching. My dad bought an incubator to hatch the ones I brought home.

I texted Todd a picture of me in front of the lake and he immediately texted back: “When was that taken?”
“Now,” I replied.
I sent a picture of our old classroom.
"I don't remember the school?" Todd said.
Our mom used to tell us how angry she was when Mrs. Betts tied Todd to his chair.
“Find the old house?” Todd asked, hopefully.
In response I sent him a picture of our old house on 2375 Ellendale Rd, and one of the big “R”

2375 Ellendale Rd & 'R' for Reno.JPG

p.s. I still have the “5” from the old address that fell off the front.

5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change