Self-Actualization

Martin Hash

Self-Actualization

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:15 pm

Hierarchy of Needs.png

I learned about Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs in a college psychology class not long after it was published. It starting with everyone’s base physiological needs, followed closely by safety then belonging, esteem and on the top of the pyramid: self-actualization. I probably heard a lecture about what “self-actualization” was at the time but as an early-20s man-child, I hadn’t yet gained wisdom, and didn’t comprehend, which is probably why I don’t remember it. Now as mature adult who has spent a lifetime pursuing wisdom, I made it a point to revisit the traits of self-actualization to see if I’d achieved it?

1. Autonomy is the most important aspect of self-actualization: self-reliant, resourceful & innovative.
2. Acceptance: accept yourself, others & and world around you for what it is; perfection is a myth; flaws are accepted with humor & tolerance; change is a constant and chaos is just as natural as order.
3. Independent: never rely solely on opinions of others; have an innate disposition for critical thinking; rely on your own judgment to reach conclusions.
4. Spontaneous: driven by your own motivations, unconcerned of how others perceive you.
5. Visionary: pursue missions larger than yourself.
6. Authenticity: see things as they really are; can quickly identify dishonesty & artificiality.
7. Solitary: comfortable being alone with the ability to entertain yourself.
8. Appreciative: recognizing the magnificence of the world & life and it’s many manifestations: smells, tastes & beauty.
9. Light-hearted: the ability to laugh at yourself, without cynicism nor insults.
10. Oneness: the belief that humanity is capable of great wonders & imagination.

The short answer is yes, got it. The biggest thing to recognize is that none of these traits rely on the opinions of others: it’s not up to someone else to determine whether you’ve succeeded in any of them, it’s only up to you to perform; there are no gatekeepers blocking access to your personal goals. Unfortunately, self-actualization has gone the way of liberty; students are now indoctrinated to be at the mercy of the group: to do, think & act like everyone else, or be shunned, scorned, mocked & ridiculed. Self-actualization was the pinnacle of the Enlightenment, a short half century then it was gone; Male Boomers may be the only ones who remember and they’ll soon be gone too.

Abraham Mazlow Quote.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

DBTrek

Re: Self-Actualization

Post by DBTrek » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:26 pm

"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"