Spare Tire

Smitty-48

Re: Spare Tire

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:56 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:48 am
I’ve been around the world and lived in the Bush for months. Whatever fits in a small backpack is what I take.
Yeah, but I got a wife in tow, and she's not an Airborne Ranger.

Plus two old Labrador Retrievers, we take our dogs with us too, but they need some support kit at their age.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:03 am

The main thing is, if I'm going to the Great Basin to see the dark skies, I don't want to be dragged out of there because my wife is not happy.

Happy wife happy life. If she wants to Glamp with all the feexins, that's fine by me, I got nothing to prove in terms of roughing it. SERE training; been there done that.

I want to be able to keep going, Red Rock, Great Basin, Lake Tahoe, El Dorado, sustained operations with wife and dogs in tow, Glamping is the way to go, little house in the woods, it's a sweet ride.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:13 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
I don't climb that much, but I still have my harness from the military, so no need to go nutcutter,

I have it in case somebody has fallen down a hole or off an escarpment, or if there is a remote location I want to get to, just for the enjoyment of the solitude.

In terms of camping gear, my wife refuses to rough it, she's a Glamper not a Camper.

I have come around to that too now, it's nice having a camper. You can just rent one.
:lol: My wifes a glamper too.

I mostly climb for training and doing structure assessments. Man the new harnesses are Ferraris compared to the old stuff. I'm climbing a Petzyl Avao right now.
If you have to be in a harness all day they are so comfortable compared to the old strap seats.

I really like the idea of having an AED defibulator as part of a med kit. I've been trained on them and the stats on bringing someone back with that compared to chest compressions is not even close.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:16 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:56 am
Martin Hash wrote:
I’ve been around the world and lived in the Bush for months. Whatever fits in a small backpack is what I take.

Plus two old Labrador Retrievers, we take our dogs with us too, but they need some support kit at their age.
I know how to suffer, I don't need anymore training in that area.

For me, I'm going to catch a trout or shoot a grouse and cook it up right out of the truck. And I'm not gonna be F'ing around with figure 4 deadfalls or building a wicker weir.
PLATA O PLOMO

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:17 am

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:13 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
I don't climb that much, but I still have my harness from the military, so no need to go nutcutter,

I have it in case somebody has fallen down a hole or off an escarpment, or if there is a remote location I want to get to, just for the enjoyment of the solitude.

In terms of camping gear, my wife refuses to rough it, she's a Glamper not a Camper.

I have come around to that too now, it's nice having a camper. You can just rent one.
:lol: My wifes a glamper too.

I mostly climb for training and doing structure assessments. Man the new harnesses are Ferraris compared to the old stuff. I'm climbing a Petzyl Avao right now.
If you have to be in a harness all day they are so comfortable compared to the old strap seats.

I really like the idea of having an AED defibulator as part of a med kit. I've been trained on them and the stats on bringing someone back with that compared to chest compressions is not even close.
I actually use the climbing gear for wet gap crossing most of all, fast water, I go first and then I bring my wife and dogs across.

As for the defib, heck, I drink liquor and smoke tobaccy, the guy having the M.I. might be me someday,
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:19 am

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:16 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:56 am
Martin Hash wrote:

I know how to suffer, I don't need anymore training in that area.

For me, I'm going to catch a trout or shoot a grouse and cook it up right out of the truck. And I'm not gonna be F'ing around with figure 4 deadfalls or building a wicker weir.
Exactly, no need to do the Ranger course anymore, I'm retired, any old asshole can be uncomfortable, that ain't much of a trick.

I just want to find nice little locations under dark skies in the pristine wilderness, then kick back and enjoy myself, with all the feexins

Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:29 am

I can't hit Dr Hash too hard on being unprepared right now though. I'm out on this bridge construction job right now and have been since mid August. Well, I went through my truck before I left, all the way through the lube order, new oil, etc. Checked tires, spare, lights the whole thing...……………….. didn't check my brakes.

So, you know what I did this morning. New front brakes and rotors. Two hours in the dirt, because I didn't check them and do them in the comfort of my shop.
PLATA O PLOMO

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:33 am

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:29 am
I can't hit Dr Hash too hard on being unprepared right now though. I'm out on this bridge construction job right now and have been since mid August. Well, I went through my truck before I left, all the way through the lube order, new oil, etc. Checked tires, spare, lights the whole thing...……………….. didn't check my brakes.

So, you know what I did this morning. New front brakes and rotors. Two hours in the dirt, because I didn't check them and do them in the comfort of my shop.
But there again, if I'm Glamping, no need to rush it, I could just take my time, I don't have to do it at the side of the road, I'd just do it in the campsite while my wife cooks me up some supper,
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:39 am

Another thing is, if my wife is uncomfortable and doesn't have all the feexins, she ain't gonna be in the mood for marital relations, camper sex beats tent sex, because there is no such thing as tent sex with my wife.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:07 pm

At Indiana Dunes National Park right now. Wife’s driving. Glam will be if we stop at McDonald’s on the way to Purdue.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change