Balcony Down

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Balcony Down

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:58 pm

I need a guy like that to fix my gutters. :think:
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:05 pm

Just do it yourself. Why would you pay somebody to change your rain gutters??

It occurs to me one could doubly monetize this with a follow-up book: "How I became independently wealthy charging Yankees thousands of dollars to install their rain gutters".

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:30 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:05 pm

It occurs to me one could doubly monetize this with a follow-up book: "How I became independently wealthy charging Yankees thousands of dollars to install their rain gutters".
Because I don’t do heights, and I need new boards installed behind them (whatever that’s called). The screws are easily pulled out.

I’ve handled all the 1st story ones already. I just refuse to do the 2nd story.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:44 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:30 pm

Because I don’t do heights, and I need new boards installed behind them (whatever that’s called). The screws are easily pulled out.

Those boards are called Fascia. You should also have boards under them called sub-fascia, but it's quite common for buildings to skip sub-fascia. It's actually a structural element that strengthens the overhang, especially with snow loads. When you get the fascia replaced ensure that's it's solid wood, not a composit material like OSB. OSB, orientated strand board or wafer board rots easily with a little water. That may be what you have now.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:14 am

Opportunity costs.

Look at your free time as if you're being paid double time at work. If materials and labor for gutter replacement being done by someone else is cheaper than the material cost and double time rate of your free time why not pay someone else to do it?

I can do my brakes, change my oil, etc super easily; but I don't because the opportunity cost to have someone else do it is much less.

FYI, at this new home build we're looking at they are trying to tack on $11k for rain gutters :lol:
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:05 am

California wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:14 am

Opportunity costs.

Look at your free time as if you're being paid double time at work. If materials and labor for gutter replacement being done by someone else is cheaper than the material cost and double time rate of your free time why not pay someone else to do it?

I can do my brakes, change my oil, etc super easily; but I don't because the opportunity cost to have someone else do it is much less.

FYI, at this new home build we're looking at they are trying to tack on $11k for rain gutters :lol:
Dependencies.

You are looking at it from a hyper-capitalistic perspective. Profit-maximization, which is essentially what you mean by minimizing opportunity costs and seeking the highest financial return on your time and capital spent, results in a great deal of dependencies. Dependencies create fragility.

You need to quarantine your business activities from your life sustaining activities.

For example, I am getting closer to selling this condo, buying land, and starting to farm. The capitalistic way of farming is to maximize your return on time and capital investment. It's probably cheaper to outsource growing seedlings to a dedicated nursery operation, and that frees up your time to expand your actual profitable ventures. It also is profitable to specialize in a few things. Just producing meat birds and eggs, for instance can be streamlined and scaled up. You make more money and then have to still purchase most of your food at a grocery store.

But your dependencies multiply fast when you do that. What happens if your business fails, or the economy collapses, or any number of high impact events whose true probability of happening you cannot actually know? You are fucked. That is what happens.

So one way to hedge for such events would be to devote part of your land to a homesteading or permaculture approach that can produce most of your food with few (if any) external inputs. Then the market side of your operation can be run with profit-maximization in mind and you can create as many dependencies in that operation as you please.

Being able to maintain your house falls in the homesteading side of life. You should become proficient at building, maintaining, and repairing as much of that as you can.

Basically, minimize dependencies in your personal life, but maximize return on investment in your professional/business life.

When SHTF happens (and I think it very well might happen in our lifetimes), you are going to see a lot of urban slicks, who spent their whole lives chasing money and commerce, completely unable to function or help themselves, or likely even effectively interact with the people who can help them, whom these merchant slicks spent their entire lives looking down upon.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:08 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:30 pm

I hear you, I ran out of courage when I was cutting the ivy from the very top of the roof. I had a 3 section ladder fully extended (still too short) and had nobody to hold it still so I had to leave the last 6' to rot away.
It's good to have a healthy respect for gravity.
Gravity will fuck you up.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:44 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:08 am

I hear you, I ran out of courage when I was cutting the ivy from the very top of the roof. I had a 3 section ladder fully extended (still too short) and had nobody to hold it still so I had to leave the last 6' to rot away.
It's good to have a healthy respect for gravity.
Gravity will fuck you up.

Good Call...……….. Gravity will Fuck you up

Number cause of death on the job in the US, slips, trips and falls from height.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience