'58 'Vette

Martin Hash

'58 'Vette

Post by Martin Hash » Mon May 20, 2019 4:35 pm

The other day I told Gwynne, “We're driving up to Bellevue to look at a 1958 Corvette.”
“That's over 3 hours away,” she exclaimed, surprised. “Why are you looking at a car? You don't drive.”
I explained to her how my grandfather had a plastic model he made of a classic Corvette, White with red upholstery and red front panels, just like the one we were going to buy, and what a coincidence that was. Gwynne didn't answer and she was quiet while she drove the long trip past Olympia, past Mt. Rainier, past Seattle. When we finally got to the owner's house, we were early and had to wait in our car for half an hour. Gwynne still wasn't saying anything. Finally, the owner's wife opened the big garage doors. It was a guy's Wonderland of restored and partially restored classic cars, all mucho expensive ones. The Corvette was right in front waiting for me. I had lots of plans to inspect it carefully, look underneath, and check all the fluids, but I forgot everything, transfixed by the chrome; lots and lots of chrome. I imagined it in front of my house, people driving by and ogling what was more a piece of art than a machine.

1958 Corvette s.jpg

I inched my way back to where Gwynne was standing.
“Isn't it beautiful?” I whispered, my speech pressured.
“It is,” Gwynne answered.
“And I'd look good in it,” I continued.
“You would,” Gwynne confirmed. “But you don't drive.”
“You said it was a beautiful car and that I'd look good in it,” I pleaded.
“But you don't drive,” Gwynne repeated.
“But I could drive if I wanted to,” I defended myself.
“But you don't,” she said.
“We'll talk about it on the way home,” I suggested, hopefully.

Gwynne drove. I texted my son, Heath, about getting the '58 'Vette. He was down for it, and he had an incredible coincidence: he was wearing classic Corvette t-shirt with my model on it that my mom had given him, and he texted a picture of him wearing it to me. I showed it to Gwynne, explaining how big a coincidence this was but she didn't say anything.

Heath Text.jpg

It was so quiet I started singing a song but didn't know the words so decided to turn on the radio, and while flipping through the channels trying to find a station, that exact song came on!
“Did you hear that?!” I exclaimed to Gwynne. “The song is called 'Twilight Zone' and our daughter's middle name is Twilight,” I said. “We've got to get the '58 'Vette now.”
“What's that got to do with a car?” Gwynne asked perplexed.
“It's all part of the coincidences,” I explained.
Gwynne looked at me through half-lidded eyes.

When we finally got home, I texted my friend, Jason, to talk me out of buying the '58 'Vette. He'd been very successful over the past years keeping me free of grease and regular breakdowns. Unfortunately, Jason must have thought the car was cool too because his arguments against it were pretty weak.
“You'd drive it to California,” he suggested.
“That's a great idea!” I replied, “You're not helping.”
Jason regrouped and used his tried and true arguments to keep me from buying something I don't need but I was still in '58 'Vette heaven.

Jason Text s.jpg

The next day Gwynne gave me a box. “Your brother said this is the model your grandpa had. Be satisfied with it, that's all you're getting.”
I looked at it, disappointed, knowing all those coincidences meant nothing.
“But this is a 1960.”

'60 Vette Model.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Montegriffo

Re: '58 'Vette

Post by Montegriffo » Mon May 20, 2019 11:59 pm

Just tell yourself that it's a fine art investment.
You'd be a fool to turn it down, especially now that you are down to your last 100 million dollars.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:19 pm

Gwynne said I could have the new C8 ‘Vette because she could drive that one, and we could take it along the coast when we visit California. I’ll be watching for coincidences...

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Bah. Buy the vette wtf. Those only appreciate with time like pre batf rifles.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:45 pm

Yeah, the corvette will only be more valuable, dude. As long as you take good care of it.

The new one.. maybe not.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:05 pm

I’m subtly working it; I’d love a C1, even if all it did was sit in the garage.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:07 pm

Maintaining it with Heath is an important father-son activity. She cannot say no.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:57 pm

My grandfather through my mother told me about his old Corvette. I don't really recall the story but it was like a 69 stingray if I'm not mistaken. He was raising his kids but had that car and he loved it. Through hurricanes, mechanical failures and life he ended up losing it. One of his daughter's "lady bug" grew up riding in it. It's one of those things like when my dad found a 68 GTO that ended up being involved in a bank robbery. He had me and one way or the other had to part with it. Avid car enthusiasts all have those stories about the car that got away.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:00 pm

Mine would be the '82 mustang. Mint condition. Broke down and I let it get towed away. Too poor to recover it. Too busy working at a steel mill 72 hrs a week and having a son.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:57 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:00 pm
Mine would be the '82 mustang. Mint condition. Broke down and I let it get towed away. Too poor to recover it. Too busy working at a steel mill 72 hrs a week and having a son.
Great story!