Selling Jesus

Martin Hash

Selling Jesus

Post by Martin Hash » Mon May 13, 2019 8:52 am

LDS.jpg

I grew up Mormon. At the time boys were indoctrinated with the desire to “go on a mission,” which meant 2 years knocking on doors in some foreign locale, trying to convert people to Mormonism. I mention this personal history as explanation of my feelings towards Jehovah's Witness missionaries, and door-to-door salesmen everywhere; a deep sense of empathy towards the plight they're in. The few times I went door-to-door selling candy for Boy Scouts was humiliating. It's not among the top reasons I'm no longer religious but it's up there.

Handwritten Letter.jpg

I feel embarrassed whenever a hand-addressed envelope comes in the mail with a hand-written letter inviting me to some event or other. Also inside the envelope is a copy of the latest Watchtower, the Jehovah's Witness magazine that I’ve never read but I assume it explains their tenants. One day while I was opening the mail, I noticed that my electric bill and my gas bill contained flyers I’d also never read. I’ve been getting these things for decades and all they’ve ever been is a nuisance and waste of trees. It’s like the gas and electric company are trying to explain their religion, with similar results?

Electric Company.jpg
Gas Company.jpg

I determined to read the brochures in my bills, including those that came with my insurance, and from the DES guy who checked my car’s emissions. I also read about organic food from my grocer; even my trash bill had a flyer. I read them all and they said absolutely nothing! What a cynical waste of money and time, theirs and mine. Finally, I read The Watchtower: at least they had something to say and they were sincere about it, but it still didn't make me want to become a missionary. Whew!

Watchtower.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change