Westy

Martin Hash

Westy

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:26 am

I think I’m a pretty flexible guy: come home from a trip and somebody’s been sleeping in our bed, no problem; somebody drank the case of Bud Light and I didn’t get one, no problem; somebody let all the fish die, no problem; but there’s some places a man don’t wanna go - like using all the bays in my 4-car garage while I have to scrape the frost off my windshield in the morning.
Text 1.jpg
My wife, Gwynne, and I were gone for 3 weeks to California and Tahoe; a couple days before we were due home, my son, Heath, texted me saying his friend, Rob, was fixing his “Westy,” an old Volkswagen van, in our garage, but that it should be out before we got home. That was on October 28th. Unfortunately, when we arrived, we could see our Prius parked in the driveway.
“Bet there's a Westy in our garage,” I said to Gwynne.
Yep.
Westy.jpg
It was there until we left for another 3 weeks, this time to travel through the Panama Canal, and go to Easter Island for Christmas. Heath sent me a text saying the Westy would be gone by the time we got back.
Nope.

It takes a lot of room to fix a Westy, so there was only one bay open and my daughter, Heather, who was staying at our house while moving to her new house, was parking in the last space.
When we got home, Heath told us, “It’s a good thing Heather’s leaving so you have some place to park.”
“You’ve got to move your motorcycle away from the door; I can’t get to the garbage cans,” Gwynne said.
So Heath put his motorcycle in Heather’s spot. When she came home, she just pushed it over with her car bumper.
“What the hell!” Heath exclaimed.
“I’m not mom,” Heather answered calmly.

After the first week in Janurary, the Westy was still in our garage. Our neighbors, Mark & Jani, Craig & Robyn, were over for pizza.
“I want to see the minivan parked in your garage,” Craig said.
Since it was there, we all went out to look. Mark examined the Westy like guys do, but then he started looking around the garage, in amazement at all the things hanging from the walls and cluttering the floor.
“You know would would love this place?” he asked me, approvingly.
“American Pickers.”

Garage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

DBTrek

Re: Westy

Post by DBTrek » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:51 am

Sounds like someone needs “the talk”.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:42 am

In case anyone has forgotten, it's still there...

Still in Garage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:49 am

I thought this thread was going to be about General Westmoreland.

There is only one Westy.
Nec Aspera Terrent

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:54 am

pretty sweet little van, it would look great driving on the road out of your garage

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:03 pm

Horrible colour.
They made a 4 wheel drive version in Austria with a turbo diesel and intercooler.
I wouldn't mind one of them.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:43 am

Simple solution don't let your son invite his friends to camp at your garage or now tell him has one week to move it out himself or it's towed out.

You've obviously been kind and generous to this point which has been far too long.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:08 am

Rob, the owner (and has grandkids of his own), is a contractor, among other things, and he’s going to do the repair work on the balcony over my Front door. He had no idea what he was getting into when he bought the Westy.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:52 am

I thought it was going to be about my next dog

BTW those VW Westys command insane prices. You should do a Subaru swap
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:24 am

They gave up:

Towed Away.jpg