Escape Room

Martin Hash

Escape Room

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Mythic Escapes.jpg
It worked out before, so for Christmas this year my wife, Gwynne, got our family tickets to an Escape Room: you're put in a room with random clues and you have to figure your way out.
“Which one is it?” my daughter-in-law, Jessica, asked.
“Escape From Wonderland,” Gwynne replied.
“I heard it was easy.”
We played with those brain puzzles of bent wire while waiting for the event to start. The sales guy started us off with a failed “card trick” that called attention to the 3 of Clubs.
“That’s a clue,” Heath whispered. “'3 of Clubs,' that’s why his trick was so lame; it wasn't a trick, it was a clue.”
Our guide showed up: he introduced himself and told us the rules and gave us a chalkboard to keep notes on. The whole thing seemed simple enough, and we'd solved one of these before: easy-peasy. The guide let us in the first room; there was a Mad Hatter hat with the size 10/6 on the front.
“That's a clue,” Gwynne said confidently, and put the hat on.
The first combination lock held a drawer shut.
“What about a ‘3’ for the 3 of Clubs,” Heath suggested.
“How about 10-6 from the hat?” Gwynne offered.
“4-5-5 from the cards on the rug?” Jessica said pointing at the Alice In Wonderland image we were standing on.
Nothing. We were stumped on our first puzzle.
The guide must have been used to all his customers stalling here because he came in the room.
“Did you look UNDER the rug?” He sighed from the obviousness of it.
There was a key under the rug. We open a locked box and the was a 4-piece puzzle that Jessica quickly assembled.”
“It's a shoe!” she said, excitedly.
They tried the letters “shoe” on the lock; first spelled forwards, then backwards, then the letters mixed up.
“I give up,” said Heath.
Our guide must have been listening over the top of the phony wall because the door opened right then and he came in.
“Look at the picture," he said. "It's a boot not a shoe," then went back out.
We were supposed to set a table to match a picture on the wall but nothing happened. The guide again came in the room; he seemed exasperated.
“You’ve only got 15 minutes left and you haven’t even got to the next room.”
He pushed the books we'd stacked up onto the floor and moved a candelabra so a door would pop open. We crawled through a hole into another room but we were even worse failures in there. Heath, Gwynne & Jessica tried their pet numbers over and over on every other lock but to no avail. Worst of all there were 9 canisters we had to smell to find cherry, vanilla, cinnamon & sour.
“I can't tell one from another,” Gwynne admitted.
“Me neither,” Jessica agreed.
“Sour,” I thought, so I opened one of the canisters and took the stuffing out.
“Did you lick that?” Heath exclaimed.
“It didn’t taste like cherries,” I stated, pursing my lips in disgust.
“OMG, get me outta here!”
The guide came in; he picked out the correct 4 canisters and put them in the right order so we could open the lock.
We tried to solve that clue but it wasn't long before the Guide stormed in, dropped the “Alice in wonderland book from the first room in our lap, and explained how to find the secret letters....
There was another room but we’d timed out.
“Thank god that’s over,” Heath said, relieved.
The Guide came in.
“Let me show you how it ends,” he said in a very practiced way.”
He went on and on for a few minutes.
“... then you press the red, green, yellow & blue lights hidden behind that chest the number of times the letter ‘n’ is on the page whose number you get by dividing by the number of bow ties in the picture on the wall in the other room...”
“We’re okay, that's enough, we get it, very clever.” Heather interrupted him.
“You’re putting me on; we didn’t even get 10% of that,” Heath observed in awe. “Has anyone ever figured this out?”
“We have about a 30% pass rate,” the guide said.
“Bullshit!” Exclaimed Heath.
The guide handed him a key. Heath used the key and when he opened a secret panel in the wall, colored balls fell out. They seemed like a fit enough ending.
“Is that it?” Heath asked. “Sweet, let’s go.”
“We’re supposed to see a cat,” Heather contradicted him.
“Yeah,” Gwynne agreed, her and Heather were nodding in unison.
The Guide continued. “Separate the balls by color and count them, but not the pink & yellow ones.”
“Say what?” said Heath, confused.
“... then subtract the odds, and add the number of smiles in that mural, minus 2, then count the number of bricks in each row divided by half and the number of rocking horses in that photo.”
“You're shittin' me.” Heath thought he was being made fun of. “You’re making this up. It's a joke, right?”
“What was the colored rags clue?” I butted in.
“Those are to wipe off your chalkboard,” the guide replied without looking at me. He continued:
“... then you sort the cards by the color of the rainbow you see projected on the wall when you press this secret button, then you order the lines of the poem and perform every step, and if you make any errors, you start again from the beginning...”
Heath was cackling like a crazy person. “3 of Clubs, 3 of Clubs, 3 of Clubs,...”
Gwynne finally opened the door herself to let us out.
“We didn’t even use the hat,” she said, disgusted.

Escape from Wonderland s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

C-Mag

Re: Escape Room

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:30 pm

These are great family experiences for parents and young adult kids. We did a Gangster themed one in Spokompton and we really enjoyed it. It's a good team building activity, you learn things about how people address problem solving with the clock providing some innocent pressure.

We got through ours and completed it fairly quickly. We will be doing another in the future.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:53 pm

lol

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:07 pm

I guess you don't believe me...…………… cool. I won't try to convince you 8-)
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience