Re: Shark Tank

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:42 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:39 am
MilSpecs wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:31 am
brewster wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:18 am

I recently started rewatching Halt and Catch Fire with my family that didn't see it. Lee Pace's Jobs-like "visionary" character in there is someone like you describe. We talked about it after a recent episode, how folks like that are like people hackers, they know how to push buttons to get responses. 30 years ago the hot term for this was Neurolinguistic Programming. A good part of it is also reading people. As a poor "people skills" guy this stuff has always fascinated me. It could almost be viewed as parasitic, getting others to do what you want done.
That’s it exactly. They are true extroverts, living off the energy of others.

It’s actually difficult to run into people who knew my dad. They wax enthusiastic about their good friend, when the reality is that they were just the audience for another great performance. I never let on though. Let them have good memories of a special person.
My dad (a salesman) is just like this. I always tell my wife who’s a social butterfly (but sincere) that even though she really enjoys gatherings, I’m exhausted after performing all night.

p.s. We’re hosting some couples at our house tonight (and every Thursday) for Black Glass wine-tasting. The alcohol makes it bearable.
That’s funny, two of you had salesmen dads and I’m married to one. As a politician, I could say I was in sales and I have that personality to an extent. Martin was a salesman. Brewster, would you say you’re in sales?
:royalty-queen:

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:45 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:42 am
Brewster, would you say you’re in sales?
Haha. My standard speech on this is that everybodys in sales even if they don't know it! I've been a freelance craftsman since I was 21, and a huge part of that is selling yourself. No matter how good you are, if no one knows it, it ain't happening. There was a five-year period early on where I kept getting hired to clean up the messes of this other dude who was very charming but not competent. I'd be much more successful if I didn't mind cold calling, and nudging old customers. Word-of-mouth referrals in my business suck.

I once pissed off a girl I was interested in by telling her that if her ambition was to be a film production coordinator, that there's plenty of people who are competent at it. So the majority of success at that job for her was to make people like her and want her around. It was just as well, she was a tease and a walking disaster.

My other business of landlording is also sales when I'm showing prospective tenants apartments. it's a little tricky because while I'm trying to sell I'm also trying to chat them up and discover what their deal is, and whether they'd be good tenants.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:01 pm

When you try and promote yourself (because nobody else will), are you accused of being an egomaniac & narcissist?
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:11 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:01 pm
When you try and promote yourself (because nobody else will), are you accused of being an egomaniac & narcissist?
You have to look at these as positive attributes and sell people on them.
:royalty-queen:

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:11 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
I might if I ever tried to promote myself! I guess I don't because it would make me feel like I was an egomaniac & narcissist. When I see those people work it makes me queasy. I once had a client take me to a meeting at a Disney office building, and he didn't just go to his meeting. He worked the whole fucking building, popping into people's offices and gladhanding in the hallways. It was strange, because in my end of theater most men are subtle, low key gays not gladhanding bro's.

I'd have to say if you're accused of being an egomaniac & narcissist, then you're just not good enough at it. The good ones MAKE YOU BELIEVE!!!
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:18 pm

You need to get better at it, you come across as an egomaniac & narcissist. Just sayin’...

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:21 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:11 pm
Martin Hash wrote:
You have to look at these as positive attributes and sell people on them.
I haven’t noticed it working for you. Just sayin’...

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:21 pm

brewster wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:45 pm

I once pissed off a girl I was interested in by telling her that if her ambition was to be a film production coordinator, that there's plenty of people who are competent at it. So the majority of success at that job for her was to make people like her and want her around.
I did the food on a documentary about spies a month or so ago.
There was a big stink one day because the first AD fell out with the director, storming off saying he wasn't going to work with that cunt again.
We knew them both and agreed with his description. The director was an irritating twat every time he came for food.
Thing is, the first is a really nice chap and always happy and cracking jokes. The director was a miserable git who felt he was really special.
The AD is on the film we are on next week and the director is unlikely to work for this production company again.
Both are young guys in their 20's or early 30's. I know which one is most likely to succeed in the industry.
The days are long in film making, no one wants to work with someone who is such a pain in the arse so even though the director outranked the first AD it was him that lost work over it and the AD suffered no penalty for walking out.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:41 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:18 pm
You need to get better at it, you come across as an egomaniac & narcissist. Just sayin’...
Why so sharp Hash? You've been hangin with the assholes on this site too long.
Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:21 pm
I did the food on a documentary about spies a month or so ago.
There was a big stink one day because the first AD fell out with the director, storming off saying he wasn't going to work with that cunt again.
We knew them both and agreed with his description. The director was an irritating twat every time he came for food.
Thing is, the first is a really nice chap and always happy and cracking jokes. The director was a miserable git who felt he was really special.
The AD is on the film we are on next week and the director is unlikely to work for this production company again.
Both are young guys in their 20's or early 30's. I know which one is most likely to succeed in the industry.
The days are long in film making, no one wants to work with someone who is such a pain in the arse so even though the director outranked the first AD it was him that lost work over it and the AD suffered no penalty for walking out.
Yup, film crews are like a family that you get to choose whether to join. It can get pretty intense working very long days. When someone is annoying it can get unbearable.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:46 pm

brewster wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:41 pm
Martin Hash wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:18 pm
Why so sharp Hash? You've been hangin with the assholes on this site too long.
It was a setup.

This whole thread, including the original post, is a troll of epic proportions. The whole Shark Tank thing, all that work, was what makes it so epic. I should be famous just for these fabulous trolls, and I do even better on Facebook.