Shark Tank

brewster

Re: Shark Tank

Post by brewster » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:18 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:04 pm
Having a good idea and possessing the talent and aptitude to build a business out of are two different things. It's not common for somebody to be both innovative and good at making a business out of it. Usually a person is one or the other, if anything at all.
Most people do not understand that. I've been trying to explain it to people my entire life. I build clever things all the time, but I'm not the kind of guy who will be out there flogging it relentlessly. That takes a different type. the people who do both well you read about in the newspaper. Even Steve Jobs was not creative, he just was brilliant at managing his creatives and stealing from the best of the industry.

I've had this theory that businesses are often built by people who don't have very many ideas. That's why they get very attached to the one they do have, and decide that it's so great they have to do something with it. people who have lots of ideas don't get so attached to them.

Tesla was famous for discovering all sorts of things including X-rays and radio but not trying to market them or do anything at all. It took Marconi stealing Tesla's ideas and marketing them as his own that brought radio to the masses.

Hash, as I get older I'm more impressed by the marriage than the riches or travel. I'm at 23 years married to one of the sanest people I've ever met. Hopefully when my youngest goes to college in a year and a half we'll travel more.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:01 am

You are only impressed by things that you think YOU can maybe do, like stay married longer, future travel, or making more money; things you can NOT do, things that I DID, you dismiss. The human motivations underlying this rationality are explained in my philosophy book.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:18 am

Interesting observation in there. There is some truth to the idea that we are impressed more with feats we think could at least be possible for us to achieve, perhaps as a source of inspiration, but I am unsure if that is totally true. There are athletes that impress me who do things I am not genetically gifted enough to achieve.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:20 am

Another aspect to this is simply interest. I am much more impressed with athletic achievement, musical talent, etc., than economic achievements. Steve Jobs does not impress me much at all, though I recognize his talent. The medal of honor stories impress me a great deal. It just depends upon your interests and temperament.

The parts of business success that sort of does it for me is the stuff analogous to war and strategy. Other than that.. meh.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:28 am

Atheletes & Rock Stars are famous which, of course, is the most prestigious thing of all, even though there’s literally millions of them and only 1 of me.

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:33 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:01 am
You are only impressed by things that you think YOU can maybe do, like stay married longer, future travel, or making more money; things you can NOT do, things that I DID, you dismiss. The human motivations underlying this rationality are explained in my philosophy book.
Touchy about it, huh? I don't dismiss your degrees, its quite an achievement. But I'm more impressed by life accomplishments than school accomplishments, I did mention my sister has 2 doctorates and has a career that never went anywhere. And I'm most impressed by world changing achievements. Those guys that recently trekked solo across the Antarctic really did an impressive feat, but did it mean anything? Did it improve anyone's life other than perhaps being a bit inspiring about human tenacity? Ultimately it was a bit of vanity, no?

It's not like I've changed the world, but I don't make any big claims either, I've just been a cog in the entertainment machine, my name comes up in IMDB. You're not a household name but certainly played a role in computing history. Kudos.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:40 am

You should check my IMDb.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 am

There’s also social achievement. Like athletic or musical ability, it’s mostly something you’re born with and it can be used to achieve a lot more. Everyone knows somebody who possesses it. They’re the people who everyone knows; the natural center of attention in any group of people. The skills are learned but they’re born with the charisma. I’ve seen it in action in politicians and it’s truly remarkable.
:royalty-queen:

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:54 am

You should see me in action.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:04 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:54 am
You should see me in action.
This is where you pitch your webcam link, right?
:puke-right:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"