The Eagles

Martin Hash

The Eagles

Post by Martin Hash » Wed May 23, 2018 10:54 am

When I was in High School, I used to listen to The Eagles at one of my first jobs. The guy I worked for's wife had an affair and they were estranged, and whenever the song “Lyin' Eyes” came on the radio, he always looked sad. I found out who sang that song, and my Eagles fanhood began. I can remember being at the record store when their new album came out; it caught my attention because it had a sticker on the wrapper that said “Including Joe Walsh.” Joe Walsh part of The Eagles!? My goodness, Joe Walsh was a guitar god, a Rock superstar in his own right. I loved Joe Walsh. I'd never bought an Eagles album before but I bought that one: “Hotel California.” Damn, what a great album. In fact, “Eagles – Greatest Hits” is the biggest selling album of all time primarily on the strength of the songs from Hotel California. I've heard Hotel California thousands of times, so has everyone else, certainly every kid knows Hotel California. Whole generations younger than me traversed into adulthood listening to The Eagles, and I smile whenever I see some kid singing along to the songs.

There were other bands; Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, that were formative but I never really gave it much thought until it became clear that the opportunity to see them live was quickly diminishing. For example, when The Rolling Stones came through town, tickets for my wife and me were going to be $2000. “Screw that!” I thought. “No band's worth $2000.” But as the years ticked by, I kept thinking about the chance I had to see The Rolling Stones and missed it. $2000 started to seem pretty reasonable really. Then Tom Petty died. Damn, I REALLY wanted to see Tom Petty but had frittered away the chance.

AlbumCovers.jpg
Christmas came. I got my son, Heath, an original Nirvana “Nevermind” album. It's a German First Edition that I got off of eBay from Greece. I bought a beautiful two-sided glass frame for it to hang in his house after he gets married. He loved it. I'd bought some more frames, and we went through my old albums and framed the ones I remembered fondly, one of which was “Eagles – Greatest Hits.” THE VERY NEXT DAY Heath sent me an email that The Eagles were coming to town. When people talk about a “no brainer,” that is what they mean.
Joe Walsh.jpg
Hotel California.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Matt Campbell

Re: The Eagles

Post by Matt Campbell » Wed May 23, 2018 1:31 pm

Sad day when Glen Frye died. I never really listened to the Eagles but happened upon learning 'Take it Easy' on guitar recently, and really appreciate his voice and his midwestern-Deetroit City twang. I've seen the Stones 5-6 times- first time was in 1981. They are NOTHING of what they once were, and since the bassist Bill Wyman left the group they sorta lost their edge. Keith is more interested in hitting poses than hitting notes, Mick redefines 'tone deaf' every show, Ron Woods guitar isn't even plugged in half the time, and Charlie Watts is just amazing. In the shadows behind the drums up in the elaborate stages they concoct, you can see other people strumming guitars and other instruments. Save your money, rent the Altamont Speedway concert on DVD, back in the day when hippies were hippies and drank ripple, now hipsters are on meth and everything costs way more than free, which is how much Altamont cost to enter.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed May 23, 2018 2:54 pm

If Martin were a black cab driver.

I was fortunate enough to catch Tom Petty about a month before he died. It was an amazing show, far beyond anything I expected (I guess that’s what happens when you work a craft for 40 years, you get pretty good at it). Promised myself I’d catch him the next time he came through the area. Fate had other plans.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed May 23, 2018 5:06 pm

One of those albums does not belong. Can you guess which one doesn't belong next to epic albums like Animals and Stranglehold??

katarn

Post by katarn » Wed May 23, 2018 6:08 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:54 am
When I was in High School, I used to listen to The Eagles at one of my first jobs. The guy I worked for's wife had an affair and they were estranged, and whenever the song “Lyin' Eyes” came on the radio, he always looked sad. I found out who sang that song, and my Eagles fanhood began. I can remember being at the record store when their new album came out; it caught my attention because it had a sticker on the wrapper that said “Including Joe Walsh.” Joe Walsh part of The Eagles!? My goodness, Joe Walsh was a guitar god, a Rock superstar in his own right. I loved Joe Walsh. I'd never bought an Eagles album before but I bought that one: “Hotel California.” Damn, what a great album. In fact, “Eagles – Greatest Hits” is the biggest selling album of all time primarily on the strength of the songs from Hotel California. I've heard Hotel California thousands of times, so has everyone else, certainly every kid knows Hotel California. Whole generations younger than me traversed into adulthood listening to The Eagles, and I smile whenever I see some kid singing along to the songs.

There were other bands; Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, that were formative but I never really gave it much thought until it became clear that the opportunity to see them live was quickly diminishing. For example, when The Rolling Stones came through town, tickets for my wife and me were going to be $2000. “Screw that!” I thought. “No band's worth $2000.” But as the years ticked by, I kept thinking about the chance I had to see The Rolling Stones and missed it. $2000 started to seem pretty reasonable really. Then Tom Petty died. Damn, I REALLY wanted to see Tom Petty but had frittered away the chance.

AlbumCovers.jpgChristmas came. I got my son, Heath, an original Nirvana “Nevermind” album. It's a German First Edition that I got off of eBay from Greece. I bought a beautiful two-sided glass frame for it to hang in his house after he gets married. He loved it. I'd bought some more frames, and we went through my old albums and framed the ones I remembered fondly, one of which was “Eagles – Greatest Hits.” THE VERY NEXT DAY Heath sent me an email that The Eagles were coming to town. When people talk about a “no brainer,” that is what they mean.

Joe Walsh.jpgHotel California.jpg
I think that all about the current kids and such is probably still true, but it might fade soon. I'd wager there's a ton of kids who really love that older music (from a kid's view, ten years or so makes music old), but just as many who've never heard of any of these bands. Which is kind of sad, since a lot of that stuff is much better than the normal stuff put out today (of course, popular memory tends to forget the crap of previous eras).
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed May 23, 2018 10:31 pm

I’d struggle to name 3 modern bands that are destined to be “classics”.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu May 24, 2018 1:05 pm

I love almost every Eagles song. Life in the Fast Lane is probably the only one I don't care for. I haven't seen a ton of concerts in my life; it's never been a huge draw for me.

I recently got to see John Fogerty, and that was cool. Going to see Brit Floyd, a tribute band, next month. They are supposedly very good. They are doing all of Dark Side for this concert.

Got to see a Queen cover band a couple of years ago, and they were fantastic.

I never got to see Elton, David Bowie, The Eagles, Pink Floyd ... missed a bunch of them that I should have gone to.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu May 24, 2018 1:31 pm

I am fairly confident Hell is basically you listening to the Eagles on eternal repeat.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri May 25, 2018 10:13 pm

SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0