A “Princess” Plays Again

Martin Hash

A “Princess” Plays Again

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:57 pm

I’m glad life is complex – it gives me so much new knowledge to pursue on the Internet. “The Jetsons” were on primetime television when I was a child. I don’t remember the stories being much more than a series of embarrassing situations, but my youthful mind was entranced by the set design. At the time (1963), that was THE look of the future and, in fact, it STILL has the look of the future, even 50 years later! I had recently bought some original Jetsons animation cells with backgrounds, which reminded me of my childish infatuation, and after a little Googling, I found the Jetsons look was actually the style of the time, called “Modern” or “Mid-Century,” by designers such as Eero Saarinen, and Charles Eames. The particular design of tables and chairs I really like are called “Tulip” (1956), designed by Hans (and Florence) Knoll, and I ebay almost everyday looking for just the retro or antiques that I want.

While doing Google searches I came across an image of a television design that I recognized from the Jetsons – it was called a “Predicta Princess” by Philco, and though it didn’t float around in the air like it did on the cartoon, it was clear that’s where the cartoon design came from. I HAD to have that TV, and even though it didn’t work, and the guy selling it to me said it would never work, I bought it just as a conversation piece.

My youngest son, Haven, had been living up in Seattle, right out of the university and working at his first programming job, so I hadn’t seen him for awhile but we usually went on a cruise over Christmas so I met up with him in Acapulco. We were getting caught up: him with his job and me with my eccentric quests. I was telling Haven about the Philco, circa 1958, I had bought.

I explained, “you know the one with the tube that sticks out of the top – like on the Jetsons, but it doesn’t float.”

Haven said he still didn’t know what I was talking about.

“It’s iconic!” I declared, exasperated. “I’m sure you’ve seen what I’m talking about.”
suicidemachine.jpg
Then, I think because my subconscious kicked in like it so often does, I looked down at the t-shirt Haven was wearing.

“Right there!” I exclaimed. It’s just like the one on the t-shirt you’re wearing!”

While Haven was holding up his t-shirt to examine the Predicta-shaped icon “The Suicide Kings” (an Alternative band) was using as a logo, I was thinking, “how weird was that? Having a picture of the TV on his t-shirt while I’m telling him about it.”

“Oh,” said Haven. “No, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that TV before.”

“It’s ON your t-shirt!” I exclaimed.

“This isn’t my t-shirt.”

Moving on with the story…
As karma goes, after we returned from our trip, we contacted some old friends who we hadn’t seen in over a year, Ralph & Nellie Roberts.

The first thing Ralph said when they came over and caught sight of my obsession was, “I was a TV repairman until 1978 and I used to repair a ton of those things!”

Hmmm… The karma was getting so deep you could swim in it. I also like grand gestures, and am a student of the technology, history, and the impact of television. For example, it seems likely that the 1st presidential campaign, debate, and inaugural address at the beginning of the “Television Era” of politics was the Kennedy/Nixon contest of 1960, AND the end of the analog broadcast on February 17, 2009, signaled the end of the “Television Era,” meaning that if I could get the Princess working, Barack Obama’s inaugural address would be the last thing it would ever receive – the beginning and end of an era – what kind of grand gesture is that? It was imperative that I get the TV operating so that it could fulfill its destiny.
Ralph Roberts 2009 Philco Princess.JPG
Ralph had three weekends to help me get my baby operating. Once again, the Internet became invaluable for obtaining old vacuum tubes: there were 3 or 4 websites that had easy-to-use tube number matching, ordering, and shipping, plus Ralph had about half the tubes we needed in his personal inventory from the Olde Days. We made quite a team: I was proficient with test equipment, and he had the karma of TV repair down pat – Ralph knew just how to wiggle, bend, and what went where, and he had the manuals. The Saturday before the inauguration we had the Princess working!
Philco Princess, Obama 2008 Inaugural Address.JPG
2009 Obama Inagural Address

Now she sits prominently in my Living Room, and everyone admires her.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change